If Adam and Eve were the first couple “god” created, did their children have sex with each other to populate the world?
I remember learning about Adam and Eve as a kid. I am sure everyone knows the basic story of creation about how “god” took some clay and created Adam, then used part of Adam to create Eve. I don’t know why he didn’t just create her from scratch. I guess he was trying to recycle or something? Anyway, we were basically told that we all came from Adam and Eve but they didn’t really talk about details of how it worked. It wasn’t until I was older that I actually thought about it…. Does that mean that their kids had to have sex with each other?!!
In short, the answer is YES!
The story of Adam and Eve according to Islam
After Adam and Eve ate from the “forbidden tree” and got banished from heaven, they were sent to earth as a test to “god’s” new creation. Thedoes not mention Eve’s name, but Muslims know her as Hawwa. Eventually, they started having kids together. God decided to give them two sets of twins, each set included a boy and a girl. The boy from the first set was named Cain (Qabil) and boy from the second set was named Able (Habil). Of course, the girls names are not mentioned again… I guess they are just not important. Apparently, “god” ordered the boy from the first set to marry the girl from the second set (because having sex with your sibling is not as bad as having sex with your twin?)… And that’s how it all started… That’s why we are here today…
I had two problems with this story:
- Marrying bothers and sisters is not allowed in Islam (or in any society that has basic common sense!). So that means that this story contradicts the “Islamic law”. Muslims say that this was a one time exception to get the population of the world started, then it was outlawed later in the .
- Why couldn’t “god” just create another couple to have kids too? Or better yet, a whole bunch of families. That way they don’t have to be incestuous and have sex with their siblings. He is all powerful right? He surely knows that there is a major problem with this idea.
Islam and Evolution
Many Muslims believe that theand science are in line with each other. They interpret parts of the Quran to explain scientific ideas like evolution and the big bang. I remember learning about evolution in school, but we were always told that “god” made it happen and that the story of creation in the Quran somehow fits. I don’t know how that made sense, since the idea of humans created from clay just doesn’t work with the basic principles of biology and evolution.
To make matters worse, the story of Adam and Eve makes us all a result of inbreeding! Especially because “god” made Eve from Adam. That would give them similar genes right? So their kids would be 2nd generation inbred. That is a recipe for disaster! Talk about major genetic defects….But I guess “god” knew that.
It’s just sad that people in the 21st century still teach such nonsense. They make up crazy interpretations that would make the Quran seem like it works with modern day science. They would also never admit it when they are wrong. They would rather teach their kids how to be ignorant and follow religious ideas based on blind faith. I refused to do that. I studied the Quran, asked questions, and thought about the answers I was given. It turns out that the best way to lose your faith, is to actually read your “holy book”. Reading the Quran is the main reason why I am an atheist today.
- If the ancient “prophets” claimed their miracles today, would anyone believe them?
- Islam DID NOT Abolish Slavery. In Fact, Mohammad Was a Slave Owner.
- To Drink, or Not to Drink? What you might not know about Alcohol and Islam.
- Are Muslims Allowed to Marry Non-Muslims? Islam and Interfaith Marriage.
- Apostasy in Islam. Why many people are afraid to come out as non-believers.
- The Evil Eye and Other Strange Superstitions that Still Exist Today in Muslim Societies
- Bargaining with God… How prayer in Islam was reduced from 50 to 5 times a day.
- A Woman is Worth Half a Man in Islam… Literally.
- My Biggest Problems with Mohammad the “Prophet” of Islam. A Polygamist and Pedophile.
- Why Would God (Allah) Write a Book? Wouldn’t “he” have a better way to spread his message?