My Biggest Problems with Mohammad the “Prophet” of Islam. A Polygamist and Pedophile.
Where do I start?… There are just so many things wrong with what Mohammad practiced and preached. Muslims believe him to be a great prophet that is wise and pure, but if a man like that existed today, many people would have a really big problem.
First of all, if you didn’t know, polygyny is allowed in Islam. Men (and only men) are allowed to have up to FOUR wives as long as they treat them “equally” (like that is really possible). This practice still happens today in many Muslim countries. I know many husbands and fathers who decided to marry a second and third wife just because they can. It has broken many homes and caused problems with their children. Many men even marry without the knowledge of their first wife and kids. Yes, that really happens. The families eventually find out, but by then it’s too late.
As a woman in an Islamic country, I definitely had a problem with this practice. I also know that most Arab women had a problem with it as well, but had to accept it just because their god said it was OK. That is the same reason why many women do not argue about wearing a burqa or a scarf over their head. They feel that it is their duty to do as their religion says, even if it doesn’t seem fair.
Mohammad, of course, is the main reason why polygamy is accepted throughout Islamic countries. He even had his own set of rules that applied only to him. Since he was “special”, he was actually allowed to have 9 wives at once (there were others at different times). This also doesn’t include any of the slaves that he took as wives (a common practice during his time).
Of course, there were excuses and explanations for this. They said that Mohammad’s mission from god was to spread Islam. One way to do that was to build ties with different tribes, so he married daughters of important people. That’s why he needed so many wives…. To build his Muslim empire.
Even today, marrying really young girls is widely accepted in many Muslim countries. The reason why they think it is ok is because their prophet did just that. He married a 7 year old girl when he was over 50.
No matter what excuses people give me, I just can’t find this acceptable. I remember learning about this in elementary school and wondering how someone younger than me would already be married. At that time, my biggest concerns were things like playing outside after school & finishing my homework. I felt so lucky that my parents were more educated than that, and I knew that they would never allow that to happen to me. However, I also knew many teenage girls that married older men because their fathers decided it was a good idea. Sometimes they do it because they are poor, and if they marry their young daughters to rich men, they can help support the whole family.
It is really sad that in this day and age, ancient traditions are still practiced in some countries. These are only some of the examples of the harm caused by religion. If a person like Mohammad existed today in a western country, he would be put in jail for sex crimes.
- Ex Muslim Blog » Islam DID NOT Abolish Slavery. In Fact, Mohammad Was a Slave Owner. » Ex Muslim Blog
- Islam DID NOT Abolish Slavery. In Fact, Mohammad Was a Slave Owner « The False Prophet
- If the ancient “prophets” claimed their miracles today, would anyone believe them?
- Islam DID NOT Abolish Slavery. In Fact, Mohammad Was a Slave Owner.
- To Drink, or Not to Drink? What you might not know about Alcohol and Islam.
- Are Muslims Allowed to Marry Non-Muslims? Islam and Interfaith Marriage.
- If Adam and Eve were the first couple “god” created, did their children have sex with each other to populate the world?
- Apostasy in Islam. Why many people are afraid to come out as non-believers.
- The Evil Eye and Other Strange Superstitions that Still Exist Today in Muslim Societies
- Bargaining with God… How prayer in Islam was reduced from 50 to 5 times a day.
- A Woman is Worth Half a Man in Islam… Literally.
- Why Would God (Allah) Write a Book? Wouldn’t “he” have a better way to spread his message?